Monday, 13 September 2010

Occam's Razor

Until theists make it clear what they believe and why, and succeed in accordance with logical scrutiny, then how can I be expected to believe it? And if I can understand it I surely can not believe it if I don’t see any evidence for it can I? Truth here is not arbitrary rather it is something tested with recurring results. (By the way before the question of proof comes up, proof does not exist outside of the mathematical and logical realms. Science can only test theories and come up with facts, but these are not proofs because they are subject to alteration pending new evidence). The slippery-ness of a person’s concept of god makes truth very difficult I think, especially for a theist. Your view of the truth of god is arbitrary and likely not shared by everyone calling themselves Christian, or even everyone who calls themselves a theist. Unfortunately, this immediately indicates that you have not found the truth, or are the only one who has. The application of Occam’s Razor here should determine which is more likely. And I am willing to admit that I may not have found the truth either.

No comments: