Monday, 13 September 2010

My Atheism

I see neither evidence nor reason to believe that there is a god. I am aware that there are serious arguments for the existence of god and am doing my best to understand them all. For want of a clearer nomenclature for my position I will have to settle for Atheist as it is neither a belief nor a worldview but rather a stance one has on the topic of religion. As an Atheist I do not and can not “convert” people or proselytise regarding my stance. It would be like saying the encouragement of scepticism and open-mindedness is called a belief system, which is a fallacy. Atheism is a religion in the same way that not collecting stamps is a hobby. I think this is a fair representation of where I am coming from.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It takes faith to believe that there is no God - which therefore meanings that atheism is a religion.

heresmyopinion12 said...

Faith is the confident belief or trust in the truth or trustworthiness of a person, concept or thing. I do not trust in the truth of the concept of atheism, there's no concept, no idea, nothing to trust in! Atheism, like I've said before, is an answer to the perennial question "do you think there is a god? I say no to that question. By definition I do not have faith. You're gonna have to do better than that.